Dead Island 2 is a huge game, but games can always be bigger. Today's update adds the new ability to switch skins for the playable characters. All six characters get a free unlockable skin, and premium skins can be purchased as well. Additionally, Dambuster Studios and Deep Silver have announced Twitch drops and the contents of paid expansions that will be arriving in the future.
The new co-op feature can be accessed from the Extras menu before starting a game, and in-game after completing the "Call the Cavalry" quest. Upon finishing the quest, players can swap outfits from any storage locker throughout the game world.
- “Til Dawn” Collection: Features a brand-new skin for each of the six slayers, free for all players. These will automatically appear in the cosplay section after the latest update has been downloaded and players have reached the unlock point for Cosplay.
- Available throughout 2023: 'From Dusk' Collection skins through Prime Gaming Rewards – learn more here.
- Twitch Drops: Watch participating Twitch streamers playing Dead Island 2 until July 9th, for as little as 20 minutes, and claim the Maulibu Panga machete
- Premium Character Packs: These include a unique skin for the slayer named in the pack and a weapon that can be used by any of the slayers, from the HELL-A Catwalk Collection. There is a total of six character packs, all available to purchase from digital stores today:
- Character Packs 1 (Silver Star Jacob) and Pack 2 (Cyber Slayer Amy) are included for owners of the Deluxe, Gold, and HELL-A Editions of Dead Island 2.
- Four further character packs – Gaelic Queen Dani (included for owners of the Expansion Pass), Jungle Fantasy Ryan, Steel Horse Carla, and Venice Vogue Bruno – are also available to further enhance your Slayer’s stylish look.
The premium outfits sell for $5 each. I bought one for Carla, my main character.
Other fixes and upcoming expansions
Today's update also adds "client co-op improvements, performance and stability improvements, and various fixes." See this article for full patch notes.
As for the upcoming expansions, here are the first details:
First expansion: How does a billionaire prepare for the zompocalypse? A techno-death cult with a healthy splash of debauchery and gore! The first story expansion, Haus, will release in Q4, 2023.
Second expansion: Welcome to the SOLA festival, where LA's party people can greenwash their way to ecstasy and save the planet, one rave at a time. So L.A! SOLA Festival, will launch in Q2, 2024.